Monday, February 23, 2009

Back to Ballet

I took my first ballet class in eight years tonight.  Right now I feel great but mostly likely I'll have trouble walking tomorrow.  In preparation for my return to the world of dance I took sometime over the weekend and riffled through my ballet paraphernalia.  Luckily most of my leotards were still in good shape and surprisingly they still fit me.  A few items were sacrificed due to dry rot.  The reason for my collection of ballet paraphernalia is that ballet was a major part of my life in high school.  I danced six days a week: four days taking classes at Richmond Ballet Center for Dance and two days rehearsing for the Concert Ballet of Virginia.  I hadn't ballet until I joined the Concert Ballet.  I had wonderful opportunities to perform that I wouldn't have had anywhere else.  By my senior year I was Sugar Plum in the Nutcracker and seriously considering majoring in dance once I got to college.  I was accepted to Butler University for their dance program but when I received my acceptance letter from Mary Washington I knew it was the right place for me.  And that is where my dancing life basically ended.  I didn't really miss dancing in college probably because I joined the synchronized swimming team.  YES, I WAS A SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER! I basically squashed my love of dancing into my love of swimming (I swam competitively on my high school team and for a summer league).  Anyway, it's been quite awhile since I took a ballet class.  I've been missing dancing a lot lately and finally got my fix.  My muscles may ache tomorrow but my heart is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

    Powered By Blogger