Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blueberry Biscuits

I've been wanting to try to make Blueberry Biscuits for a while and finally had a reason to give it a shot.  I had breakfast with several of my college friends this morning and wanted to make something yummy so I had a perfect excuse for making Blueberry Biscuits.  Normally when I try new recipes I do a lot of google searching for different ideas.  I'm not sure why, but this time I just gave it a shot in the dark.  So my planning included buying frozen blueberries and opening my favorite cookbook the Joy of Cooking.  I used a regular rolled biscuit recipe but added 1T sugar to make the dough sweeter, the same recipe for making shortcake.  Since I wasn't completely sure what I was doing I ended up making the recipe twice.  The first time I added the blueberries into the dough before I rolled it out.  While this made the dough purple, which I must admit I enjoyed, it also made it very difficult to work with the dough.  The blueberries kept breaking and making the dough too sticky requiring quite a bit of extra flour.  I think the other problem with the first batch was that I just added way too many blueberries.  So I went back to the drawing board and also read a little bit in the biscuit section of the Joy of Cooking about adding ingredients to biscuits.  I should have done that in the first place.  Anyway, I ended up waiting to add the blueberries until until after rolling out the dough.  Then I put the blueberries on top of half of the dough and layered the other half of the dough over top of the blueberries.  I rolled the dough again with slight pressure just to incorporate everything and ended up with some nice looking Blueberry Biscuits.  To add a little extra sweetness I glazed the biscuits with a mixture of confectioner's sugar and water.

Thanks once again to the Joy of Cooking for helping me make yummy treats.  I think one day soon I will need to write purely about my love of that cookbook!

1 comment:

  1. Oh they were delish, thank you for bringing them. I think I would have enjoyed the purple ones as well. Mu phi, mu phi....:)

    ReplyDelete

    Powered By Blogger